Stardate 12084.4

Captain's Log: Stardate 12084.4
With Tropical Storm Eta threatening the Gulf, our cruise to the Naples Sailing and Yacht Club had to be cancelled, and I find myself pondering what lies ahead for the next several years boating in this area.

And, while I think I'm still quite a ways away from making any real decisions, one letter - just one letter - keeps popping into my mind:


To C or not to C. That is the question.

Between that, challenges surrounding work, some of the local racing personalities and the current election debacle, I'm finding myself on edge. On the election front, we may not have a result for weeks. But I do believe by the end of this week we'll have a clearer picture, especially after the next day or two when Arizona flips harder and faster than Nadia Comăneci.

As for racing personalities, things have been pretty quiet and moving along without incident for the past few weeks. That is, until this morning when I received an email from John Lynch regarding the race schedule, specifically a New Year's Day race called the "Flyboy's New Years Day Regatta" in which the Venice Sailing Squadron or Venice Yacht Club would have no role and John would make all the rules - clearly still bothered by some of the rules that I recommended and VSS imposed for this year's Fall and Spring Series. Here is an excerpt from Jon's email, along with a photo of the trophy that he created for the event:



Sounds like a great plan - after a night of staying up late and heavy drinking, let's race our boats in an event where there's probably no regatta insurance in place. I'll pass.

As for the trophy -- Look, I am well aware that my mind may be a little more "off" from the norm, but, seriously, doesn't that thing look like something that may have come out of John's ass?

.... or maybe perhaps something he enjoys putting in.

Have fun, guys.