Stardate 12074.9
Captain's Log: Stardate 12074.9
This past week has been an interesting one, starting with a C&C Yachts Rendezvous, but, due to coronavirus, this one was held virtually:
We talked about our boats and how we were all doing for about an hour, even sharing our screens of some glamour shots of our boats.
And, just to clear up any misconceptions, my official statement is that what you are looking at behind me is not a Zoom Virtual Background, but actually my home office, complete with a widescreen 600-inch television. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
On the video call was JohnKelly Cuthbertson, the son of George Cuthbertson, one of the "C"'s of "C&C". JohnKelly is pouring through his father's archives of drawings and photos, planning to put it all online someday. Way cool.
Meanwhile, locally, we just published the Notice of Series and Sailing Instructions for the Venice Sailing Squadron's Fall and Spring Series (which starts this weekend.) I must have some sort of brain tumor for volunteering to help organize the racing here, especially with all of the PTSD leftover from running EBYRA for so long, but it needed to be done.
The system here was woefully unfair and strongly benefitted the previous orgaznier. Thankfully, we had an interested committee who listened to my ideas and arguments supporting them, and we'll be seeing some nice changes this year.
I won't mention the name of the previous organizer, but let's just say he reminds me of Santa Claus -- that is -- a Santa Claus who is heavy, with a flowing white beard, who delivers a sack full of crap down your chimney.
Will I race the Enterprise here? Probably, but not immediately. First I need to see the coronavirus numbers stay low here for another few weeks. Then I need to assemble a crew. Given the level of racing, triangle 5-mile courses and other factors, I think the spinnaker will remain in storage. But it could be fun to JAM it (Jib and Main) around the course every couple of weeks.
Stay tuned....
CAPTAIN'S LOG
