Stardate 12016.1
Captain's Log: Stardate 12016.1
With the Enterprise's facilities awaiting a new head with a working electronic controller board, along with the growing concern of using a bucket as a temporary replacement, the ship remains in spacedock for the next couple of weeks. Today, however, was to be the third and fourth races in the VSS Spring Series (yes, it's February), and Captain Gately was kind enough to invite me on board the USS Fruition for the day.
Turns out that one of the marks, A, is gone, and Captain Gately had volunteered us on a mission to drop a temporary around two miles away. However, with Fruition's new impulse drive not being fully broken in yet, RPMs had to be kept down and this was shaping up to be a slow voyage. The further we got from shore, the breeze increased to an average of 19, with gusts well into the 20s. Waves were well over 6 feet at times. Fun.
And then I was told that if it is over 20, VSS cancels its races.
I found that somewhat surprising, even though the wind heavily-favored the bigger boats. As I pointed out: Do you know what they call a day where it blows over 20 in San Francisco? They call that Saturday.
And I know how well the Enterprise does in over 20. Over 25 and we exceed established warp limits.
Anyway, after countless attempts to hail John Lynch, we were notified to not drop the mark and the races were cancelled for the day. And then we began our slow roll-y trek back home. It was disappointing, but I get it.
Fruition's crew does seem like a great bunch and it would have been fun to race with them. I can't say what the average age on board was, but I've seen younger faces on money. Anyway, assuming the new head doesn't surprisingly arrive early, hopefully I'll get to sail with Fruition next week.
In the meantime, it looks like I'll be meeting with VSS's top brass to work with them on co-sponsoring a regatta in April. Red Alert! Shields Up! All crew to battlestations!
CAPTAIN'S LOG